“We Are Brethren”
In 1767, Isaac Long, a resident of Lancaster, PA, hosted a revival meeting at his barn. That night a Mennonite preacher named Martin Boehm shared his story of faith in Christ. William Otterbein, a German Reformed pastor, was so moved that he left his seat, embraced Boehm, and said loud enough for everyone to hear, “We are brethren!” Out of this revival movement a new denomination was formed: United Brethren in Christ.
The movement spread, and on May 5, 1878, King Street United Brethren Church opened its doors for the first service on the northeast corner of King and Second Streets. Today that building is a Jewish synagogue.
The parsonage was built in 1932, and on January 1, 1937, the KSC congregation picked up their chairs, and walked across the street to our current site. At that time they had a Fellowship Hall, which was the sanctuary, and Sunday School building. In 1949, two floors were built above the sanctuary, and the parsonage was remodeled in 1955. After yet another building project, the first service in the new sanctuary was held on July 9, 1958.
Generation Next Step is the fund that we maintain to provide for future building projects. They provided funding for the Baker Center wing, which was completed in 2000, and the education wing in 2005. In the past ten years we also purchased and renovated the old school building across from the church on King Street — now the KSC Ministry Center — built the new Administrative Offices at 56 N. Second Street, and renovated the parking lot.